Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In Transit...

The long trip Zambia seems endless.

Rochester - arrived at the airport anxious to get going but not wanting to leave my family and friends. As always, there is a group of faithful encouragers to see me through security and make sure I receive one last hug and smile!

NYC / John F. Kennedy - arrived looking at an eight hour layover. Fortunately, a friend of mine met me at the airport. We were hoping to venture into the actual city but realized time was not with us. We departed the subway at Utica St - at which point we quickly noticed we were a minority. Still, we found a place to eat and enjoyed the new culture. After passing some time, found my way back to the airpot and through security to weight the next couple hours for my British Air flight. After about 30 minutes, I met the 2 other people heading to Kafulafuta - we quickly connected. Although their flight to London would not be for another 2 hours after mine, we still spent some time together.

London / Heathrow - arrived realizing the long trip had left me facing a new day with only 1 hour sleep! We were to meet up with Brian Clark - a missionary to London. The only problem, I had never met Brian and was not sure how I was going to find him. Thankfully he was waiting with a sign in hand. Brian and I had breakfast together while waiting for Amy and Jimmie to catch up. Once they arrived in London, we took the tube into London proper and spent the day seeing the city and enjoying some local cuisine.










Lusaka - After a 9 hr 40 min flight, we arrived safely but exhausted to Zambia! Finally!!! As soon as arriving the sight, smells, and sounds all excited the senses - it was good to be back! The laborious process of going through immigration, collecting suitcases, and exiting customs went relatively smooth. Julie and Randy Foster greeted us at the airport taking us back to their hotel so we could shower and eat before the 4 hour drive back to the mission!






No comments: