Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Shots Fired!

This past Saturday was filled with excitement. I took a trip to Ndola to exchange USD for Kwacha while the exchange rate was still relatively high. I had put the money in my bag, done some shopping, and was waiting in my vehicle for the girls to finish their shopping.
While in the vehicle, a man (acting as a decoy) began to enter the rear of the truck. When I exited the vehicle to confront the man, he walked away. I realized something was up. I quickly noticed another man had reached through the vehicle window and taken my bag with all the money in it. I immediately pursued the man on foot at full speed - I yelled for the man to stop! At which point, he threw the bag in the air and took off running. I stopped to grab the bag hoping he didn't have the chance yet to grab the cash. Mean while, a police officer noticed the commotion and became involved shooting his rifle at the thief and then giving pursuit. The thief did get away. The bad news - he stole 2,000,000 kwacha. The good news, he did not get all the money (another 2,000,000 was available), and nobody was hurt! The Lord gave, the Lord hath taken away - blessed be the name of the Lord!
You never really do understand why this stuff happens - but, we put our trust in the Lord and recognize His complete control as perfect and without mistake.
The commandment still stands (Exo 20:15) "Thou shalt not steal". Whole story is a good reminder not to store up treasures on earth, "where thieves break through and steal" - but to truly lay up treasures that will last for eternity, "where no thief approacheth".
Although the day was quite expensive, adrenaline is an amazing chemical!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always something exciting going on in the life of KP! So... I look forward to hearing how the Lord will provide...
~LMT

emily said...

I always wondered if those policemen actually ever shot those guns they carry around.
;o)

Kevin P said...

It was quite surprising to hear gun shots! Lord has a way of keeping things interesting :)

Brian Burnett said...

I praise the Lord that the shots came from the police and not the theif! I likewise pray looking forward to how the Lord will provide.

BTW, that is quite an exchange rate!!! 1 USD = 3,555 ZMK!

Billy Haas said...

Kevin,glad you are ok, and we will pray for God's provision. We usually hear shots here in Cambodia alot, but it's been quiet lately. Guess it's a wake up call for me not to let my guard down. Thanks for your post on my blog also! God bless!
BH Cambodia

Anonymous said...

So, Kev, when we come, please have ALL your items involving money completed!!! I am not so sure persuing was what I would have advised, (from my nice safe home many thousands of miles away!!) but I wasn't there, and may have done the same thing had I been!!! Cant wait to hear the next episode!!Jan Jal

Kevin P said...

Funny, adrenaline doesnt always think rationally :D