Sunday, March 16, 2008

Moving home

This Sunday I took a former student from Bible Institute (Boston Chitambala) back home --- he came from an area called Kitwe west about 4 years ago to get his Bible degree. He has now finished his degree and was looking to get back home - we had made an arrangement in which his pastor invited me to preach and I could transport his family. At the time it seemed like a great idea. After some questioning - I found out Boston and his wife have SIX children. I began to think how in the world will we get a family of 8 and all their belongings to a place three hours away with one small pick up truck.

On Saturday I arranged to pre-pack the vehicle so we could leave early enough Sunday morning to make it for the service. When I arrived at the house - I was shocked! They had put ALL their belongings into 6 boxes and 3 suitcases. We loaded the roof rack and tied things down --- the bed of the truck would have plenty of room for some extra stuff they would bring in the morning plus 3 of their children would sit back there for the ride.

I realize Boston and I are from different cultures - but for a family of eight to need only three suitcases just made me really think --- contentment is often looked at through the glasses of one's culture. Today, looking at all I have - I learned to be content... another great lesson along the road of life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perspective...
~orange girl

Janice said...

Well, maybe we can rethink the whole container option a little more ...

We really have alot of junk, huh? I sometimes go through my house with a "fire mentality", what would I keep if there was a fire and I had to leave it all behind except...?...

I tend to realize that people and pictures are the only things that cannot be replaced!

Well, there are certain dice that are pretty special too! :)

Brian Burnett said...

Truly we have too much we deem important in our lives. But in truth, there are not as many times where we have had to move as they likely have.

This shows just how blessed, or rather,how spoiled we really are. This has caused me to think about what I would take if I really needed to fit everything in a tiny space. There would definitely not be much that I would truly "NEED", more stuff that I would not easily part with.

Thanks for sharing!