Monday, July 09, 2012

opportunity

Last week, I arrived to my usual location about 30 km outside of town to teach. Usually we have 5-10 people that regularly attend. However, as we were preparing to begin, a line of about 8 or 9 woman came walking out of the bush. Apparently they were walking to a different church for a weekend long conference but were lost. After they explained where they were walking and we told them it was still a 3 hour journey, they decided to just stay. 

All during the teaching these 'new' woman were amazed at what was being taught. I was later told the woman wished they had someone to teach them and the leadership of their church was not providing such teaching. This always amazes me. The lessons I am teaching are very basic and fundamental. Each week I leave amazed at how slow we move and how little we actually cover over a 2 hour period. Yet, these people are getting it and starting to grow and takes steps of maturity. 

At the end, the line of woman began to head back off into the bush the same way they came. I asked where they were going and they said, "home, we have been fed more in these 2 hours than we would have all weekend at the conference." I was glad to know they felt spiritually satisfied with the nourishment of God's word yet I couldn't help but feel a little sad that there is really no one to help them grow and mature in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. We took the opportunity to teach and feel like we did our part in God's plan to help in their spiritual growth.


No comments: