Monday, October 29, 2012

school rooms

This last Sunday I was invited to preach at a church pretty deep in the bush. It is not uncommon for churches to meet in school rooms while they are just getting started and later build something on their own when they have matured a bit. When we arrived I was directed toward a mud walled grass roofed building that I didnt quite recognize. It had 3 small compartments which meant it was not a church. But the grass was missing on much of the roof which made me think it was not being used for anything. When I inquired, I was told it is a "community" school. I was a bit shocked this building was good for anything and at the lack of quality being afforded to the children of this community. I realize Zambia is not a developed nation and this is Africa but how does this ever pass as a SCHOOL! I have gotten use to low quality conditions but this is far below low - this is unacceptable.
Kangagwa Community School
A community school is a school that is set up by the people of the community and runs from grade 1 to grade 7. Normally the teachers come from within the community and are not trained or certified but just want to help. The rainy season will be here full on in less than 1 month. I cannot imagine this school will be of much use during those next 5 months. I am impressed that the community is at least trying and although I am a bit disturbed I am at least encouraged that people are trying to get the best education available to them despite the conditions they cannot control.
I did preach and we talked with the people for a while. They want us to come back on a regular basis to be teaching them Scripture. Because of the distance and roughness of terrain it will be unlikely if we can reach them more than a couple times a year but by the grace of God we will try.

1 comment:

Lindsey B said...

Praying that God will use you! How did you get the opportunity to speak there? Enjoyed seeing Todd's pictures from your church plant on Sunday. Miss you guys :) Hugs to you all!