Thursday, February 19, 2009

All too familiar

When I talked to another missionary about visiting Ipumbu BBC he warned me about the road during the rainy season. I figured that after being stuck the week before, it was not likely to happen again the very next week. After all, besides last week - rarely in all the years of navigating dirt roads have I ever been stuck... surely it couldn't happen two weeks in a row.

I was WRONG! I was told there were two roads to this church - one very bad, one that was just ok. It turned out we chose the very bad one.

As we began down the last leg of our journey I snapped my trusty Nissan into 4x4 knowing it could handle almost anything. We began down a muddy trail that began to get worse - finally we were pushing through 6-10 inches of water. I increased my speed as I knew my only hope was momentum!! As we spotted the church just off the very wet and muddy road, I had that feeling of relief... I turned the wheel and cut through the water/mud. As I made the turn I spotted the pastor who with a big smile was welcoming us to the church. We made it about 10 feet off the mud/water road before sinking into THICK mud just to the entrance of the church.

We all knew we were in trouble... oh well, we got out - sang some songs, prayed, preached God's word, and had some good fellowship. Four people in this small church made life changing deicisons. As soon as the service was concluded - we all immediately focused on removing the vehicle from the mud... it took us almost 2 hours but we made it!! Praise the LORD!! The church members didnt complain or murmur - they just worked to get us out... amazing!!

4 comments:

Mrs. Vicky Smith said...

I think God sometimes allows these things to happen simply to give others a chance to be a blessing. What a joy to see/hear about these Zmabian Christians serving others in need. Maybe you'll get stuck next week too!

Unknown said...

you need to get some 40" rims with tractor tires and jack that thing up... that way you can float away in your nissan in an emergency;)

Anonymous said...

At least you weren't wearing a white shirt this time :)
~orange girl

Kevin P said...

The truck was already given a couple inch lift --- 40" rims sounds like a great time!! Maybe next time I should just engage the brain before attempting such acts of bravery/stupidity!