Monday, April 28, 2014

TV Interview

We went for a meeting in the bush to discuss with the community, local politicians, and the area chiefs what the way forward could be to provide a secondary school (grades 10-12) in the area. Currently there is little to no option available for those that want to go on after grade 9. Many just stop altogether or will try to go the 50+ km into Chipata to find a place to live, make a living, and finish schooling. 

During the meeting I was asked to preach - so I preached a short message from the Mark 8 in which I discussed give our soul to Jesus Christ alone. There is so much temptation to give our life for education, wealth, reputation, position, etc. but all these will fail in the end. I talked about how many people had been destroyed because they seek after the wrong things in this life.

After the meeting, I was approached by a local Television station to further elaborate my comments. The interviewer (Sarah) asked if I thought the government was not doing enough to help people overcome certain social issues. So - with the camera rolling I told Sarah that it is not the government that should be helping people face certain social issues but the church.

I went on to speak pointedly to the failures of the pulpit in many churches speaking more toward how God can better our physical life than what it means to follow Jesus, deny ourselves, and pick up our cross daily. Not sure if the interview ever made it on TV and if it does I am sure it will irritate many church leaders... yet, it is so clear that if we want to change a culture and the world for good, we must follow the "good book". Although there are some that try, there are many that speak more of the worldy wisdom than God's wisdom. Imagine a world in which we actually tried to follow God and listened to His instruction. 

No comments: