Saturday, October 28, 2006

Burkitt's lymphoma

According to the National Cancer Institute (www.cancer.gov), Burkitt's lymphoma cancer is, "An aggressive (fast-growing) type of B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that occurs most often in children and young adults. The disease may affect the jaw, central nervous system, bowel, kidneys, ovaries, or other organs. There are three main types of Burkitt’s lymphoma (sporadic, endemic, and immunodeficiency related). Sporadic Burkitt’s lymphoma occurs throughout the world, and endemic Burkitt’s lymphoma occurs in Africa."
As most of you know, my father has been battling this cancer for the last
year. After many months of chemotherapy, he was declared in remission. However, it was soon thereafter he was feeling sick again, only to find out the cancer had returned. Again, he was treated with radiation for 7 weeks in the hope of destroying the cancer. Again, we have just found out the cancer is back in full force. My dad was hospitalized on Friday and will begin chemotherapy again.
It is amazing how fragile human life is. Although I would wish this cancer on no person, it has slowed me long enough to realize the importance of human life and especially the importance of loving the one's closest to me. Love has a strange way of blossoming under the most strenuous of situations. My love for my father and respect I have for him has increased exponentially in the last 12 months. It is good to have a hero in this world - I am glad mine is my father.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are precious. You are blessed with a "goodly heritage." I'll continue to keep your parents in prayer.

Anonymous said...

Kev,
I love you brother, praying for Peace in this storm for you and your family.
That second picture of your folks together speaks volumes of the love they have for one another! Priceless!Thanks for sharing that :o)

Anonymous said...

I love your Dad. He is always smiling. I just wanted to let you know I will never stop praying.

Larry said...

You are your father's legacy. And while he may be your hero, rest assured that he is so very proud of you! He told me this just yesterday. I don't think there is a better legacy than to have your children walking in God's perfect will.